Tuesday, March 8, 2016

International Women's Day 2016

Today is International Women's Day - a day that has its' start back to 1908. This day is about celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. The full history of this day can be reviewed here

This year's International Women Day Theme is Pledge for Parity.  Read more here

As an local elected official - I am both humble and thankful for the 3 strong female Cariboo RD Directors - Joan Sorley (Area F), Margo Wagner (Area H) and Betty Anderson (Area K) - that I have the great opportunity to work with and learn from every day as they remind me to welcome and accept the idea of an inclusive, gender equal global community.  I am also blessed to know a wonderful women in Phyllis Webstad who does great work with the annual Orange Shirt Day and also serves as my Alternate Director and I learn much from her every day

I am also thankful for the many, many female local government elected officials in British Columbia that I look up to as mentors for their strength and grace as they make their own home communities more inclusive and welcoming for all and they in turn help me become an better male elected official

I also thankful for the female examples I have in my own family including my Mom, Sister and Grandmothers as they provide a perspective on how to be a better individual

Let us work on gender equality every day and not just recognize it one day of the year!

~SF


No comments: