Tuesday, August 13, 2013

BREAKING NEWS - Danica Hughes won't seek re-election

In a surprising move -- Danica Hughes announced at tonight's Williams Lake City Council meeting that she will not seek re-election next November.  I personally didn't expect to hear re-election announcements until the summer of 2014

I asked her why and stated that she is unable to maintain the home/work balance as a single mom and may return to politics later.  Hughes' announcement left Councillor Walters a little emotional at tonight's Roundtable period.  Not surprising as Walters probably didn't expect her colleague to make an re-election announcement tonight

I was saddened to hear Danica make this announcement as I personally planned to lobby Councillor Hughes to seek a 2nd term.  She has been one of the bright lights on WL Council.  I wish her the very best in her future endeavours.  

-- SBF


3 comments:

deepthroat said...

I suspect she is trying to distance herself from the massive lawsuit in the pipeline that was the subject of the in camera portion of the agenda earlier tonight...too little too late...

Anonymous said...

what lawsuit?

Anonymous said...

I am sorry she is leaving as well but I can imagine how difficult it is as a single mom to balance family, career and all the hours required as Councillor. She has done a great job imo!