Thursday, November 22, 2012

Kim Herdman on WL Council's plan on speeding on 3rd Ave by Marie Sharpe Elem.

Yesterday afternoon, I received a copy of a letter that 3rd Avenue resident Kim Herdman fired off to Williams Lake City Council after Council, at their Tuesday meeting, decided to consult with residents' around placement of speed reader signs for 3rd Avenue (near Marie Sharpe Elementary) and Foster Way

In the letter, Ms. Herdman expresses "deep disappointment" that Council is refusing action, even though she in a previous letter cited examples where Council should have taken action on speeding on both 3rd Avenue and Foster Way.  She also noted that two RCMP officers' signed the Foster Way petition

She also notes NO ONE from WL City Hall (Staff/Council) has yet to contact her on this item.

That led me to contact Councillor Rathor after I received this letter and ask him to contact Ms. Herdman immediately and discuss with her the issue and possible solutions.  Councillor Rathor has informed me that he has now contacted her and will be have a coffee with her next week

Finally - having been in the area of 3rd Avenue at 3:00pm where the traffic issues seem to be the worst, I can confirm Ms. Herdman's concerns and agree with her call for action.  Also - RCMP Inspector Warren Brown didn't share Ms. Herdman sense of urgency as he told WL Council at its' Nov 6th meeting.  Perhaps this letter will see Council telling Inspector Brown at their meeting with him Tuesday that speeding on 3rd Avenue by Marie Sharpe should be an active priority... as Council, through the City of WL Mayor, does have the power....

See Ms. Herdman's letter in full below:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This city seems to like spending unnecessary, time and money gathering "data" while sitting on their thumbs when they could be using the expertise of their staff...

In early summer (may-June) I contacted the City Planner who I would assume has a degree in planning which would entail knowledge about traffic zones, speed reduction remedies, and other safety issues...she took my information agreed with my observations, and then on a call back said she could do nothing that I had to write a letter to council...I asked her is she was a little frustrated with her job if it is indeed the case that she is nothing more than an highly educated professional who is being treated like an admin assistant?

So basically write a letter to Council (these are the part time folks who come from a variety of expertise and education...many of them have none...and as to my knowledge none have a planning degree who then have to decide that it is a viable issue to be dealt with...then they send it on the line to another department who then contracts out to a Prince George firm!

yes time and money wasted. Does this Prince George firm know Williams Lake as intimately as our City Planning department?

And I don't even want to go into the discussions I have had with our members in Serge. Apparently their hands are tied and they too just advised me to write a letter to the Mayor...so I am let to assume that the person who is the key to blocking and resolving this issue is the Mayor!

Let me just say that I am disappointed to say the least. But Councilor Rathor has contacted me and I believe he is working on bringing some action before some Child is run over.