Friday, July 20, 2012

Save Marshall Lake

This afternoon, my uncle Alan Forseth reports on an effort by some in Greenwood in the Okanagan to save Marshall Lake, just 13 minutes east of Greenwood

While I respect the effort of locals to save this lake, given such few lakes in the area, I must applaud the reluctance of Greenwood City Council to take this on (operating the dam which maintains Marshall Lake) as their residents' could be burdened with costs that they are not ready to take on

As one pointed out to me earlier today (resident in Okanagan area):

Unfortunately the lake over the years has tripled in size, Given the recent incidents in the Interior and Kootenays, I wouldn't want any Government to take the risk of such a large threat.

Which led my uncle to respond with:

That said, to upgrade the dam will likely cost no more than to improve what's there, and what it will cost for road improvements that will be needed if it's removed. The lake sounds well used year round, there's also a Forestry campsite that will no longer have any use -- that plus people have property on the lake assessed as lakefront --- what about them?

You can read the full blog post here

No comments: