Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Update to my email to MLA B. Simpson

Earlier this month, I decried the fact that Bob Simpson (NDP MLA - Cariboo-North) was taking up to 14 days to respond to my email to him (even factoring the fact that the email was sent on July 1st and the fact that I wouldn't get a response until after July 5th). You can read the original blog post here

On Monday, I received a phone call from MLA Bob Simpson's staff apologizing for the length of time for a response. And while I appreciate that they took the time to apologize, I still feel quite strongly that regardless whether or not you agree with the email, letter or phone message or whether or not the message is too political or partisan in nature, those in politics (local, provincial or federal) have a moral duty to return the message when you receive it (with Blackberry's and iPhone's, receiving messages in a timely way shouldn't be a problem) and this is regardless if you are on vacation or not (I know some politicians think that there is "public's time" and "personal time". Well....if you are going to be in politics, there is no real thing as personal time because if you are going to be an elected official, there is only "public's time" and the public has an right to contact you over an issue, wherever you may be in the world

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guess he read whom it was from and deemed it not important....rants usually arent.