Monday, July 26, 2010

Mayor Cook & CRD Chair Richmond showing respect for our Armed Forces.....?

This past Sunday in Boitanio Park, the City of Williams Lake and area paid tribute to Delta Company of the First Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry. About 30 people of the community came out to pay respect to our Armed Forces by wearing red, as is practice on each Friday in this country

The local politicians in attendance, that I observed, included:

* Williams Lake Mayor Kerry Cook
* CRD Chair Al Richmond
* Williams Lake City Councillor Surinderpal Rathor

However, unlike Councillor Rathor who wore red to this event, both Mayor Kerry Cook & CRD Chair Al Richmond chose not to wear red to this event. The request of the local Legion to wear red to this event had been out for some time including Councillor Rathor's request at the July 20th Williams Lake City Council meeting.

For that reason and given that both Mayor Cook/CRD Chair Al Richmond hold leadership positions in our community, I was disappointed that they did not wear red to this event and show the amount of respect for our troops as they could have. I am pleased though that at least Councillor Rathor came out and wore the appropriate attire that demostrates respect for the troops that were in our community.

I too wore red to this event in order that I could show my respect and appreciation for the troops who went to Afghanistan to fight for democratic principles and for freedom in Afghanistan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the pure definition of pettiness and being a lackey....well done Steve, well done.

Steve Forseth said...

Thanks for your comment....

However, I would point out that I do not believe it is not petty to point out that if people at the "Armed Forces Community Appreciation event" are wearing red that our local politicians should too

On your lackey comment - I did not discuss with Councillor Rathor my intention to point out that both Mayor Cook and CRD Chair Al Richmond were not wearing any red at this event but Councillor Rathor was. I was personally at this event and I called it the way I saw it.

I appreciate that some of my blog readers' are Mayor Cook supporters but these supporters can continue to see me critize Mayor Cook if the circumstances warrant it and if it appears that I'm doing so at the behest of Scott Nelson, Councillor Rathor or others - tough cookies