Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Steve Rant - Kerry Cook wants a 2nd Term as Mayor

Kerry Cook says she deserves a 2nd term as Mayor. In making that announcement, she was quoted, in the Williams Lake Tribune:

“We’ve got a great council, great staff, a lot of projects just getting started"

This quote is so laughable that I could easily spend all day picking it apart, but the sake of brevity, I'll take a moment to state what I find laughable in this comment:

1) Great Council

With the exception of City Councillors Geoff Bourdon, Tom Barr and Surinder Rathor, I think that this has been the worst City Council that the City of Williams Lake has ever seen in its' 80 year history due to various reasons that I've previously stated including the fact I believe they don't know how local government works vis-a-vis the public's issues

2) Great Staff

Again - this is true, but Staff right now lack the political leadership necessary for them to do their job including leadership from the Mayor specifically

Finally, Kerry Cook in announcing her bid for a 2nd term as Mayor of Williams Lake said:

she is announcing now she plans to run for mayor due to numerous inquiries from people in the community.

This is code for - I'm announcing now because I'm scared that I won't be Mayor on November 19th, 2011 (General Election Day - City of Williams Lake Local Gov't Election) and I want the extra time to really convince people that I've done a good job during my 1st term as Mayor.

But I digress - I wish her the best of luck on her re-election campaign, but ultimately, I believe it will come up short and you will see a new Mayor of Williams Lake for the term of Dec 1, 2011 to Dec 1, 2015

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Steve, I guess the same could be said for you and the rumours that you are running in next years election for city council. Is this code for I'm scared that I won't be a city councillor on November 19th, 2011, and I want the extra time to really convince people that the 3 past elections i've run in must be wrong. oh well, i digress -- maybe the issue is you were expelled from the liberal executive for releasing in camera items -- you must of missed that poor councillor in prince george being sued over that one. well, let's see how long this one lasts on your blog.

Steve Forseth said...

Thanks for your comment, but I'd point out two things:

1) I will address those rumours about a run at WL City Council next year

2) As for running in 3 elections. That is wrong - I ran for City Councillor in 2005 and CRD Area 'F' Director in 2008 and the election in 2011 will be my 3rd election campaign. And I don't intend to make the same mistake that Mayor Cook has, being make an early election announcement. I intend to make an announcement in the summer (or later) of 2011

As for being sued for release on purported in-camera discussions, I haven't been informed of any possible legal repercussions yet, unlike PG City Councillor Brian Skakun who clearly broke the privacy laws of this province and now is answering for that in BC Provincial Court in Prince George and I'm personally watching this court case to see how it unfolds and how it may affect how elected officials in the future regarding protection of sensitive documents