Thursday, April 8, 2010

Letter to Mayor and Council on City of WL 2010 Budget

Earlier today, I submitted the following letter to Mayor and Council on the 2010 City of WL Budget. See below for a copy:


Dear Mayor Cook and City Councillors:

Re: 2010 City of Williams Lake Budget

Given that Council will not be meeting the public with regard to the 2010 Budget prior to its’ adoption, I wish to provide some comments as I was away on holidays when the last public consultation meeting on the City 2010 Budget took place in March.

Firstly, I was disappointed to observe both City Councillors Zacharias & Bourdon either informally or outright suggested that a 5% property tax was the way to go. Given they do not reside in the City, I believe it was too convenient for them to say that. On the other hand, given that the New Fire Hall Loan Payments do not have to be budgeted for until 2011, I feel (like Councillor Rathor) that a property tax hike of 2 or even 2.5% would be appropriate and not the 3.5% that is proposed

Secondly, insofar as this year’s (2010) budget process, I submit that it has been a failure and would suggest that the entire process be scrapped in favour of the following process:

i) Questionnaire to go out with last quarterly Utility Bill Statement asking, among other things, satisfaction level on current City Services, suggestions/ideas for upcoming Budget, and service enhancements or cutbacks

ii) Budget Meeting after 1st, 2nd, 3rd reading of Annual 5 Year Financial Plan Bylaw

If the above were implemented, then compliance with Section 166 of the Community Charter (Duty of Council to consult with the public on a Financial Plan)

Thirdly, I am disappointed that Council has agreed to hire an individual to help the Director of Protective Services (Fire Chief). I do not believe that is necessary during these tough times and believe City Hall Staff could be used for the same purpose

Finally, I have a grave concern with the Mackenzie Avenue Rehab Project. From my perspective as a member of the public, I’ve yet to see a rehab plan laid before Council and given the concerns the public had last year around crack sealing done considerably late on Mackenzie Avenue just a month before the Williams Lake Stampede, I really fear that we will repeat history once again and given Ottawa’s determination that their stimulus funds must be spent before March 31st, 2011 (no exceptions according to media reports). I ask you to ensure that a plan with appropriate time lines and mitigation measures is laid before Council ASAP before we lose that $3.5 million from Ottawa and be forced as a community, potentially, to cough up that $3.5 million if we don’t have this important project done prior to March 31st, 2011

Thank you for considering my views prior to adoption of the 2010-2014 5 Year Financial Plan
Respectfully yours,

Steve Forseth
SF/sf

No comments: