Monday, November 9, 2009

Muncipal Property Taxes & Trip to China by two City of WL Councillors'

In today's Vancouver Sun, Maureen Bader from the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation - BC Division writes a op-ed (opinion editorial) on the state of municipal property taxes and what the Government of BC ought to do. The story is here

Also, with regard to the trip by City of WL Councillors' Laurie Walters and Geoff Bourdon to China starting this Wednesday and returning on Saturday, November 21st. I know there are a lot of residents' here who think that this trip was badly miscalculated. I agree with them and now, I'll state why (note - New Westminster Wayne Wright and his Councillors' are under fire as well for taking a trip to China at a time when their major industries are crumbling under severe pressure from the recession and other factors)

Reason #1 - There is the Phase 2 Development at Prosperity Ridge, potentially worth up to $100 million dollars in economic activity that they and the rest of WL Council need to aggressively push for. A trip to China at this time would not see economic benefits of this level brought back to Williams Lake

Reason #2 - The day that Councillors' Walters & Bourdon are leaving for China is Remembrance Day. If I were a veteran from either World War 1 or 2, the Korean War or even Afghanistan and I saw two local politicians going to China, instead of paying homage to veterans in the City of Williams Lake, I would be insulted by their actions. I believe Councillors' Walters and Bourdon's decision to leave for China on November 11th will come back to haunt them if/when they decide to seek re-election in 2011

-SBF

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a veteran and I also know both of these Councilors. I have no doubt they will pay their respects in the proper manner on Nov. 11th and although it is unfortunate they have to travel on this day not everything happens exactly the way we want it.
Please don't use me, and my fellow veterans, as a means to continue your personal and juvenile attacks on Councilor Walters who does a fine job as a whole.

Steve Forseth said...

I'm very sorry that you were offended by this blog entry as an "attack" upon Councillor Walters. However, I do not agree with your interpretation of how Councillor Walters' is performing.

I did not intend to use veterans as a "tool" to critize Councillors Walters/Bourdon