Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Message from WL Mayoral Candidate Walt Cobb

The following message comes from WL Mayoral Candidate Walt Cobb to the electors of Williams Lake:


Voter/Taxpayer:

My name is Walt Cobb and I am seeking your support as Mayor of Williams Lake.

The winds of change are blowing in our city, people are concerned with the direction we are heading.

I have lived here for over 50 years and have been involved for almost that long with different organizations and the people of Williams Lake from Boy Scouts to assisting in the building of housing for Sr's in Glen Arbor and those with disabilities with Baker Manor.
Over the years we have had our ups and downs I have never in all the years heard rumblings I am hearing lately, the home where we all work, play and pay taxes.

It is time to change to a more positive productive outlook. One where we are all pulling together to make a difference. Not only do we need to improve our future outlook, we need to ensure there is hope and a future for our kids. We cannot continue to alienate any sector of our community.

In 1996 we were making the last payment on our general revenue debt. Working relations with staff, from what I saw, was great both at city hall and the works department.

Our debt cannot continue to grow and our taxes cannot continue to rise. The yearly interest on our debt is $846,634.00 as of the 2013 budget.

Economic Development is costing us over $300,000.00 per year; I will work to make sure that department shows results. There are many models out there and it is time to find one that works for us.

We need jobs if we are to live and play and prosper in Williams Lake.

We will not have the jobs if we do not have business and industry to support them.

Our downtown core needs help. Most small city busy downtown cores are the focal point indicating a successful community. I will do my best to return it to the asset is once was.

We must stop the exodus and find ways of encouraging new investment and business.

Our tax base needs expansion and it is time to work with industry and the retail sector to find ways of diversifying. There is no reason we do not have more secondary industry here and I will work with the existing operators to encourage expansion.

We must look beyond our area to expand and diversify. We need alternatives.

Socially we are not in bad shape as that appears to be where the focus has been this last 6 years. It is now time to work with both senior levels of government, industry and the retail sector to find the money so we can continue to pay for those programs. Without expansion or diversification we will have no growth, or ability to pay more.

For those of you who do not know me, I have attached my brief resume as this is an important job I am applying for.

I will not be able to meet everyone, or as many as I would like to, by going door to door. I know you have busy lives too and may not be
home.

If you would like to talk about your particular issue or concern please call my cell @ 250-392-0459. I will call you back.

I would also like your feedback and your vote?

2 comments:

Eddy Burke said...

Finally a candidate with integrity,common sense and the ability to lead this City when we most need it...way to go Walt!!!!!

Unknown said...

Walt, You have my total support. I believe that you are the best candidate for the position. My wish is for others to see the same in you.